Monday, June 10, 2013

It's the end of the world as I know it..

 WHY?

   So many people ask me why I want to go to Africa and look at me like a monkey when I try to explain it to them. I have a hundred answers to this question, but the one that sits in my mind like a rock is that I don't know what's out there. People in the US talk about Africa only in the context of war, violence, poverty, and AIDS, but I know there is more to the story. I think we can learn a lot from Africa if only we can get over our self-centered beliefs of national superiority. We think we are superior because in a material sense, we do tend to be superior, but some people value other things that we often ignore: humanity, the Earth, celebrating life, and the connections that bind us all together. Where is the humanity in a nation that houses half of the world's incarcerated population, despite no piece of scientific evidence supporting its effectiveness in reducing criminal behavior? Where is the respect of the Earth in a nation that claims the highest rate of pollution per capita and is one of the only developed nations that refuses to sign a protocol to begin fixing this gaping national issue? Where is the beauty in a nation that needs drugs to find happiness and joy in their time with others? Where is the unity in a nation that thrives on self-promotion and building up a fortune to feed one's own self-indulgence? I'm not saying the United States doesn't have a lot to offer. It is one of the wealthiest nations, supports free expression of beliefs, economic freedom, and leading a life as one chooses among other things. These are all great things.. but each comes at an astounding cost. Running a nation on the fuel of selfish desires is like trying to harness a wild and powerful horse; it may get work done but it will kick some people around and rip up its path along the way. If you are going to be critical of Africa, then be critical of your own home as well.
     But why dwell on the negative...Just as the US has great things to offer, so does Africa! Since the news doesn't plan on telling me what these positive things are anytime soon, I will go and find out for myself what it has to offer. This is not to say that Ghana reflects the whole of Africa because it is one fish in a vast ocean, but it is a crack through which I can begin to form an understanding of what lies within an often overlooked and under-appreciated side of humanity.

     I would also like to thank everyone for their support in this, every little bit helps, and I have received plenty of bits. A few words can hold more value than you may ever realize. If I could list everyone, I would, but that would take way too long. My parents deserve the biggest shout-out of all though. They worked their way out of their understandable skepticism and found a way to support me in just about every way possible for this trip. If anyone is responsible for this opportunity I have been given, it is both of you.

     And yes, I thank my own nation for providing the means and freedom to make this dream possible. Living here does come with some perks.

On a side note, Ghana better be prepared for one crazy, dancing fanatic. :P

1 comment: